The training aims at building the capacity of participants to better understand the basics of mapping using GIS and performing spatial analysis to support evidence based decision making.We organize custom GIS training where we design the program courses as per the need of the participants from different agencies.
Title : Trainings on Introduction to GIS and Its Applications in Engineering
Client Name : Verisk IT, RAP 3 Jhapa, RAP 3 Achham
Status : Completed
We have conducted trainings on GIS and Its applications at both private and non- private agencies ( governmental and non- governmental) agencies. The training aims at building the capacity of participants to better understand the basics of mapping using GIS and performing spatial analysis to support evidence based decision making.We organize custom GIS training where we design the program courses as per the need of the participants from different agencies.
The training program helps the participant mainly to
- Understand the basics of Surveying, Mapping and GIS
- Add , Explore and Analyze both attribute and spatial data in GIS
- Make thematic maps using GIS and perform basic Spatial Analysis
- Integrate data (both location based and attribute data) from heterogeneous sources
- Keep Location based record of projects and activities on specific areas and prepare project specific maps.
- Use of digital devices (Eg: Android) and web services (ArcGIS Online for web mapping) for geo data collection and mapping purpose.
- Use of Open source tools to create crowdsourced maps of desired locations
GIS (Geographic Information System) refers to a computer-based system that can be used to capture, store, query, analyze, display and output geospatial data and information. Geospatial data refers data which contains spatial information i.e location data. GIS helps to understand the importance of maps and location based information in making an evidence based decision making System. Every Engineering projects starts with a pre-feasibility study of the project site and such kind of work always requires a detail and updated map of the project site for better planning. With GIS, We can not only prepare the map utilizing survey data but can also perform several types of spatial analysis that best fits our requirements and help us take evidence based decisions.Similarly, GIS has a bigger scope in sectors like Urban Planning, Disaster Preparedness and efficient Response, Resources inventory and management , social science , emergency response etc.
Below is a summary of some major GIS programs NAXA organized over the last 2 years.
- Training on “Basics of GIS and Mapping and Application of GIS in Civil Engineering Projects”– Verisk IT Pvt. Ltd.
We provided the human resource : GIS Expert (Sr. Trainer and Asst. GIS Trainer) to organize a training for 30 Civil Engineers from an Kathmandu based IT company “Verisk IT ”. The training ran for a month and was organized in two shifts where students were grouped , 15 in a team to two different groups.
- Training on “Basics of Mapping and Spatial Analysis using GIS” – RAP 3 Accham and RAP 3 Jhapa office
We got an opportunity to organize trainings for the Rural Access Program 3 (RAP 3) project , to train both the government engineers from District Road Department and the project engineers working there, the use of GIS in engineering projects . We organized trainings at two different locations : Achhama and Jhapa where RAP 3 was working to build transportation access to rural villages and existing road maintenance. .