NRAs’ (Nepal Reconstruction Authority) Chief Executive Officer, Prof. Dr. Govinda Pokharel officially launched the “Surakshit Ghar”app at NRA’s office in Singha Durbar amidst a function on March 7th, 2017.
Title: Surakshit Ghar
Client Name: BuildChange
Surakshit Ghar is a mobile application launched by the National Reconstruction Authority (NRA) with technical support from Build Change to provide remote technical assistance and safe construction awareness information to Nepali homeowners engaged in the reconstruction effort. The application contains official NRA messages along with images, illustrations, audio clips and videos on safe reconstruction, information regarding both the first and second volumes of Design Catalogue for Reconstruction of Earthquake Resistant Houses which have been prepared in compliance with the revised National Building Code of Nepal and approved by the Department of Urban Development and Building Construction (DUDBC). It also contains contact details of government certified trained masons, engineers and other technical staff from district offices. The app is freely available throughout Nepal and can be used even without internet.
The 2015 Gorkha Earthquake was a huge tragedy. One of the major reason behind the catastrophic damage was lack of proper construction information. The affected communities in the rural villages of Nepal had no access to the first hand information on how to build safer houses. Proper information regarding safe construction was something they never knew before. The main social impact our application aims to achieve is to make safe construction practices and knowledge accessible to everyone including the poor communities in the most rural villages of Nepal.
Build Change is an award-winning international non-profit social enterprise located in Denver, Colorado, and in operation since 2004. They have been saving lives in peril, due to earthquakes and typhoons. They empower people in emerging nations to build homes and schools which will protect their families and children. Build change has been introducing a number of innovative products as an aid to speed up the reconstruction efforts.This application is also scaling up by partnering with National Reconstruction Authority. The app is available in both Nepali and English languages. One of the key features of the app is that the users in the remote villages can send queries related to reconstruction of their houses by either calling “Surakshit Ghar” toll free hotline or sending a text message which will be answered by a technical help desk staffed by
structural engineers, civil engineers and architects.Following are some of the key features of this application.
- Information on safe construction practices through images, illustrations and videos
- Design Catalogue for Reconstruction of Earthquake Resistant Houses which have been prepared in compliance with the revised National Building Code of Nepal and approved by the Department of Urban Development and Building Construction (DUDBC)
- Guidelines on work site safety procedures
- Detailed audio as well as written information on inspection guidelines and legal procedures to obtain government subsidy to reconstruct houses.
- Contact information of trained masons, government engineers, district reconstruction offices and other local contacts in their respective areas.
- Allow homeowners to send queries related to reconstruction of their house. They can call toll-free numbers for technical assistance.
- A messenger feature to write a question or send a photo (of their house/s) to our technical help desk staffed to handle these queries.
- Allow Homeowners, builders, and supervising engineers to record their/homeowners’ name, village/municipality, GPS and photos (of their houses) and maintain a systematic record of project progress in their own phones.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) under four broad categories: Government subsidy, government monitoring, grant agreement and technical assistance.
This application has great potential, not only in context of Nepal but also in other post-disaster locations throughout the globe.This application can evolve into a disaster preparedness/prevention platform proving a great asset to all natural disaster prone countries around the world.
Toll free Number:
For technical assistance: 1660-01-19876 (NTC) / 9801571090 (NCELL)
For general inquiries: 1660-01-72000 (NTC) / 9801572111(NCELL)
Google Play Store link :
Gadegts in Nepal : https://www.gadgetsinnepal.com.np/surakshit-ghar-app-review/
National Daily : http://www.myrepublica.com/news/19769/